Checklists, Standard Work and "Aha" moments in Lean Healthcare
I'm talking today with Ankit Patel, an expert in Lean and Six Sigma implementation and the founder of "The Lean Way Consulting"
Ankit Patel is a leader with a very unique skill set.
Ankit's background is in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology and has worked as an industrial engineer at Delta Airlines and Dell Inc. While at Dell he worked in the Lean Six Sigma group becoming the internal Lean consultant for a multi-billion dollar manufacturing/re-manufacturing center leading the strategy and the implementation of the strategy.
Ankit is a certified Six Sigma Black Belt and has a bit of an entrepreneurial streak having had multiple businesses from a tax preparation service to an online computer education company and most recently his Lean/Six sigma consulting company (www.TheLeanWayConsulting.com).
He has worked with a multitude of industries and clients with The Lean Way Consulting including manufacturing, IT recruiting firm, medical clinics, and hospital systems and at all levels from CEO's to front line employees. His approach is results oriented and team based to get long lasting results.
In this podcast we talk about:
- The similarities and differences between implementing Lean in Healthcare and Manufacturing
- Using video replay as a learning tool with hospital staff.
- Some of the success stories at the Cleveland Clinic and some of their "Aha" moments.
- Most importantly he gives us advice on anyone getting ready to implement Lean in Healthcare.
Two of the books he recommends are:
- Shingo Prize Winning "Lean Hospitals " by fellow blogger and author Mark Graban at Lean Blog
- "The Checklist Manifesto" by Atul Gawande
Listen to the audio to learn more about Lean Healthcare at the Cleveland Clinic with Ankit Patel!